Monday, November 03, 2003

OK, a post today at CrawlingWestward notes a number of web logs with either a geographical base in Louisiana, or a writer with a background from the Gret Stet. NakedFurniture, Ken Wheaton, and SarcasticSoutherner. It seems Ken considers himself conservative, and indicates SarcasticSoutherner has a similar point of view. OK. It's not like I'm off in some dreamland where Louisiana voters have suddenly adopted a left perspective. And, funny enough, at times I'm fully able to see things from--uh, ok, maybe not conservative, but certainly libertarian point of view. Discussion is inherently healthy, and to that end, I will do my best to keep up to date with these web logs, and, I'll assume I can add them to my links--if I can find a few minutes to republish.

By the way, Ken: I tried the link to the subway chronicles, but got a 404 error. Has the url changed? Would be interested to read. I posted a comment at naked furniture that I'll summarize here--about once a year I get to visit NYC, and take the trains all the time. I'll admit I'm not riding during rush hour, nor am I catching a late night back to Brooklyn. But, I've taken the Number 4 to Yankee Stadium, the Number 7 to Flushing, as well as the N, the F, the A, etc.--hell, I even put a transit map up in my apartment as a poster. Sure, the trains are greasy, loud, and industrial not-in-a-good way. But, for my money, they're still the best way to get around the city. If I travel through JFK--and the JetBlue out of New Orleans is a pretty nice ride--I'll even catch the A into the city from Howard Beach. Seven day pass for $21...not bad....

Re: my post below, today has been, uh, busy enough to keep me from catching much in the way of news. I took a look at the links that Timshel provided before noon, and will try to catch up later today. I might write a lot about Iraq, but the governor's race is important and I want to stay infomred.

Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of folks are all that concerned about the election. I try to get a feel for the race by keeping my ears open at bars or coffeeshops, but there's nothing in the way of genuine discussion, it seems. Maybe it's different elsewhere in the State or elsewhere in the city (I live close to LSU and hang out on State or Chimes Street quite a bit), but the north side of campus doesn't seem excited.

I don't know if I like the implications of that. Shouldn't people actually care enough to vote, even if it is once again the lesser of two evils? The candidate who wins isn't less of an executive because only 20-25 percent of the electorate voted him in. Check out the situation in Washington, D.C.....

No comments:

Post a Comment