Monday, December 29, 2003

Apologies

I guess I've been pretty slow to post over the last day or two.

There was the Dr. John show Friday night, followed up with my own version of Operation French Quarter Freedom. Let's see: I spent a lot more money than I should have, I probably alienated the crap out of at least a few folks moving about (but not the bartenders, I hope--having previously held service jobs, I try to tip early, often, and somewhat generously), and I accomplished nothing except for the achievement of a massive Saturday hangover that lasted through yesterday.

Note: Knew I would be in no shape to drive back to BR even BEFORE the show started, so went ahead and stayed at a hotel in the Quarter. This was a good move. Even during the holidays there are fairly reasonable rates.

However: Using the valet car service turned out to be a pain in the ass. I was promised twenty minutes from the time I requested until the time the car showed up, but it ended up being an hour and fifteen minutes. Hated to do this, but the tip that normally goes to the driver went instead to the concierge, who was one of the few folks who noticed the problem. Twice I checked with the front desk, was told it was on the way, but when this guy went in to check again, he found out that the car never left the garage. And then I still had to navigate for a brief spell through the narrow streets.

This is yet another argument for an increased investment in public transit--it would have been much easier, and cheaper, to take a train down to the city, followed by a cab to the hotel, which was an EASY walk to HOB. A lot of hassle would be avoided...

Dr. John, by the way, was great, as always. Played much the same set as he did a year or so ago, when I last saw him--at the same venue. A good two hour set.

More to follow a little later, but work calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment