Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Representatives Wanted--Pay: $5.25/hr.

From Calpundit, via Kos:

But I'll renew an even better idea I proposed a year ago: index it to congressional salaries. Assuming a normal 2000-hour work year, congressmen make about $75/hour right now. How about simply making the minimum wage equal to 10% of that? Congress can then increase their own salaries anytime they want, but only if they're willing to help out the working poor at the same time. Seems fair to me.

And I've got an idea of my own, that I've argued for several years: Congress gets paid the minimum wage. It can be whatever they want it to be, but whatever they decide is their salary, THAT'S the minimum.

Congress would then fully understand how to balance the necessity of just compensation with the demands of the market.

And, on the same track, limit the salaries of the President and SCOTUS as well. I for one am sick and tired of hearing them whine about how little they make as it is. They want to whine? Let's give them a reason. Hell, that alone would probably be enough to get Scalia (and Thomas) running to the private market.

There are those who might worry that, under those circumstances, the goverment might not attract "the most qualified" people for service. To which I reply: you really think it could be any WORSE than the current crop?

No comments:

Post a Comment