Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Laff
Update: the first link no longer has a plug for Rambo--oh well. As noted below, I really couldn't stomach watching the whole thing, although I did occasionally look up from my book to watch yet another evil Commie get his comeuppance. I also liked Richard Crenna's (I think--I wasn't exactly checking the credits) speech to his Soviet-style captor. Something along the lines of "these freedom-loving people will defeat the Ruskies, just like they defeated the British, just like they defeated everyone who tried to conquer them and just like they always will."
How true...

I stumbled on this while flipping through my 20 odd television channels (emphasis on odd--and note that when you click on Rambo III you get the comedy page). Probably won't stick around to watch it all--c'mon, we know exactly what's gonna happen--Rambo singlehandedly offs a batallion division of evil, beady-eyed, souless Soviet automatons, whilst assisting the freedom fighters mujahadeen taliban. I wonder if "Afghan Arab" Osama makes a cameo...

Seriously, though, the unintentional comedy is almost off the scale. Think a synthesis of a really bad Steve Reeves Hercules and buddy flick minus the buddy. Throw in some classic "they don't value individual human life" propaganda and--holy shit, the mujahadeen are making their first appearence: they strictly fight to save their women and children, who are apparently dropped into burning pits for sport.

Hey, there's even a little mujahadeen kid--bet he'd be at Gitmo if this was a documentary...

I don't know whether I should laff some more or hurl. Now, they're playing the Afghan national sport--some sort of rugby-like slugfest involving the carcass of a sheep...

Maybe I'll read a book instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment