Friday, January 23, 2004

New Hampshire Road Show

Am a little busy this morning, but I had a few impressions I wanted to pass along regarding the debate last night, which, if it did air in my media market, was on the "good" cable tv, which I'm still too cheap to subscribe to.

Nightline carried extensive excerpts. I found the two most amusing moments to be, first, John Edwards expressing support for States' rights, albeit in a "positive" manner (and with a shit-eating grin), while threading the needle on the issue of gay/lesbian marriage. Laff. Actually, he did this reasonably well, even if Sharpton got in a swipe. I don't think this will affect Edwards' position at all, indeed, it might have helped--it gave him a chance to shore up his own base, and Sharpton's retort will not make it into the long-term memory of the electorate. Still, I thought this was pretty funny.

The other moment that made me laugh was when Peter Jennings gratuitously bitch-slapped Michael Moore--who was NOT at the podium--while grilling Wes Clark. Good job, Peter--kick someone who isn't there to defend himself, and try to smear a candidate based on another person's words. Jennings referred to, quote, "discredited" allegations Moore made regarding President Bush and military service. Moore apparently called the Resident a "deserter" in a speech at a Clark rally.

Wes managed to deflect the allegation, although there was a palpable sense of discomfort as he, in truth, defended Moore's First Amendment rights. Jennings, a Canadian, and a high school dropout, must simply be unaware of this fundamental tenet, although he certainly exercised this right in referring to the allegation as "discredited"--especially since, to my knowledge, neither he nor anyone else at ABC News has bothered to ascertain or report the facts.

Actually, in defense of the Resident (you never thought I'd defend him, did you) I don't think desertion is the correct term. I believe the CORRECT designation is A.W.O.L., absent without leave, although I'm sure Michael Moore was simply doing his own version of "Weapons-of-Mass-Destruction......related-program-activities." Hey, it worked for Bush, why shouldn't the private sector give it a try?

I wish Kerry had jumped in at that point: if ABC put this in the extended excerpts, I did NOT see it, although some reports indicated he was asked to dance around the coals in regards to his V.V.A.W. days--I KNEW that was going to happen (see my notes below regarding Iowa). Did he or didn't he throw away his medals? Did he or didn't he sleep in a tent on the Mall?

If the early 70's are relevant for Kerry, then they are relevant for Bush--did he or didn't he go A.W.O.L.? Kerry should have jumped in on the question, and said something like this:

Excuse me, but I would like to respond. Mr. Jennings, desertion might be too strong a word. However, the facts are clear, that, when called upon to serve his country, political connections intervened in the process to ensure Mr. Bush a spot in the National Guard, as opposed to the regular Army. Indeed, the unit in which he served was known as the "Champagne Brigade," and it was common knowledge that it would NOT be called upon to deploy to Vietnam. Finally, in spite of his good-fortune to be stateside, there is evidence that he failed to report for duty for well over a year. Mr. Jennings, I challenge you and your news organization to investigate the charges, determine their veracity, and report your findings to the public. Because these facts point to the issue of character--and character is important.

And the audience would have roared their approval.

A few final notes: Can't they simply cancel Joe Lieberman? This guy is a living cure for insomnia. And regarding Howard Dean: I'm pretty sure this will be his swan song, although he's putting on the best face possible. Public execution is never a pretty sight, even if his "death" in this case is merely political. Howard, though, is being very stoic as he prepares to climb the steps of the gallows. He even allowed himself a small laugh--reading the Top Ten list on the David Letterman show. But the days are getting shorter for Dean.

To be honest, I don't mind the guy. As I've often said, I'm no Deaniac, but he'd get my vote if he won. But too many people were apparently looking for a reason NOT to vote for the guy, and Monday's damage is, to quote Dick Cheney, big time.

I think the real question will be who among the remaining candidates can capture the most important legacy of the Dean movement: the fundraising juggernaut that he and Joe Trippi shrewdly organized. Whoever can capture the concept and effectively pitch it to the base will have the means to actually challenge for the election. Because, let's face it, money trumps all. Which is pretty sad. I'm not saying that elections can be bought--but they certainly must be paid for.

OK, that's a pretty long post--especially considering that I've referenced no one link. I guess it's an editorial.

Will be back a little later with some more thoughts, but I need to do some stuff over here, and I also want to get a feel for what others are saying.





No comments:

Post a Comment