Thursday, April 15, 2004

How do You Know When a Politician is Lying?

Deutsche Welle reports that the latest bin Laden tape makes an offer to Europe: no more attacks if they pull their troops out of--well, I was going to say the Middle East, but something tells me (the fact that bin Laden is psychotic) that Osama's definition of what consititutes a pullout is vague.

All European nations are officially reacting with outrage: "We can't negotiation [sic] with al Qaeda," a statement released by the [British] Foreign Office said. "Their attacks are against the very idea of coexistence. The right response is to continue to confront terrorism, not give in to its demands." The British government accused bin Laden of pursuing a "cynical strategy" of trying to divide Europe and the United States.

But if there's one thing I've learned about politicians, it's that words like "never" and "negoiate" don't always mean "never negoiate." I'm not saying that the EU is ready to start the discussions--far from it. But I am saying that when political leaders say they don't negoiate with terrorists, I do wonder if there are any unexplained gaps in their public schedules. It's the cynic in me.

I also am beginning to wonder when Europe does decide to really break with the US on issues related to foreign policy--Germany and France opted out of the Iraq war for selfish reasons, to be sure, but as Iraq looks worse and worse to everybody except the lunatic right wing, it will only be a question of when Europe sets their own course. I doubt seriously anyone would consider actually talking to bin Laden himself, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if an accomodation was reached with people who don't view Osama as Public Enemy Number 1 (although they may or may not view him favorably). After all, it's not really Europe's fight.

And if it becomes the US versus the Muslims, then bin Laden has succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment