Thursday, May 06, 2004

I'd Say They Voted Thumbs Down, But I'm Not Quite Sure They've Reached That Evolutionary Stage

This Washington Post article indicates that the makers of the Plan B emergency "morning after" contraception pill did not expect the FDA to approve it for over-the-counter sales despite overwhelming approval from their expert panel advisory committee. I haven't really followed this, but here are two items that caught my eye. First, Wendy Wright testified against the proposal. I've seen Wright before, and she is trying hard to become the next Phyllis Schlafly. Second, the last line of the article noted that "Emergency contraception is available in 101 countries and does not require a prescription in 33."

I was busy with something else, but think I heard on PBS that it was voted down.

Once again, it seems that Team Bush is playing politics with women's health issues.

And, as a followup, here's a AP article posted on the New York Times website. For this, I'll cite the first paragraphs:

More than one-quarter of American women have high blood pressure and nearly one-fifth lack health insurance, according to a study released Thursday that says federal and state governments fail to meet women's health needs.

The country meets just two of 27 health measures established by the federal government, the report found. Those two measures are the percentage of women who receive mammograms and see a dentist annually.


Meanwhile, the cost of war keeps rising.


No comments:

Post a Comment