Thursday, May 06, 2004

Irony

I don't know why I thought of this, since I'm not particularly religious anymore--well, since I was a teenager, in fact. And that was some time ago.

But seeing a picture on Needlenose made me think. By the way, Swopa really hit the target with this post, the essence of which is that Bush wasn't so much shocked by the prison abuse as he was pissed that there was proof. Immediately below this, Fubar provides some perspective on what can only be called a systematic pattern of abusive behavior on the part of at least some in the military. Makes you wonder just who is actually running the show--that's for YOU to answer, Mr. Rumsfeld--and what sort of issues they may need to work out.

Anyway--Fubar ends his post with this photograph of John Walker Lindh, aka Johnny the-American-Taliban:



And it hit me that I'd seen something very similar before:



Romans will be Romans, I guess.

(For the record: I'm skeptical as to the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin. But as I grow older, I'm a little less strident in my disregard of things religious. If some folks want to believe, so be it. And there's no escaping the symbolic value of religious imagery, particularly for those who DO adhere to that stuff).

No comments:

Post a Comment