Monday, November 15, 2004

Colin Calls it Quits


Colin Powell resigned today, expressing utter disgust and shame that he ever associated with, much less worked for, the Bush Administration.

"My God, what have I done?" Powell asked rhetorically, noting that while he was proud of being the first African-American Secretary of State, the daily humiliations he suffered became just too much to handle. "For four years, I served as window dressing for the...worst...president...ever. I hope my fellow Americans will empathize. During this time, I, like many of this country's citizens, engaged in daily activities that I found revolting. I did so for any number of reasons, including the fact that a steady paycheck isn't something to sneeze up at in this economy."

"My hope had been to inject a degree of reason into the foreign policy of the administration. With the aim of accomplishing this, I allowed myself to be used as a tool. Any number of times in private I railed against the lunatics at Defense, the lunatic Vice President, and the idiot dauphin himself, trying to stress the importance of genuine multilateralism in foreign policy. In attempting this, I even undertook the most shameful element of my otherwise distinguised career when I gave a speech at the United Nations that was so full of lies that to this day I beg forgiveness from what I hope is a merciful God."

"You know what? Bush fucked up the so-called war on terror. He fucked up Iraq SO badly that the best we can hope for is a hostile theocracy in the region, and limited blowback here at home. His economic policies stink, his foreign policy has made the world more dangerous, and I was also sick and tired of the leash and collar I was forced to wear--Don [Rumsfeld] can be a real son of a bitch when he decides to jerk on the choke chain..."


Well, ok, so Powell didn't actually say that, nor does he wear a leash and choke chain--I think. I'm not so sure, though, about the rumors regarding just what Paul Wolfowitz has in that jar on his desk.

You know, as piss poor as the first Bush administration was...hell, it was the sequel to Bush I--Son of [a] Bush--it looks like the sequel to the sequel will be even worse. Just like in Hollywood, they'll do their best to wring out a few extra dollars on the franchise, using lesser and lesser B-Level actors (or will these be C-Levels? The B-Level folks were the first four years). Considering that the first term ultimately worked out about as well as the average "Gator" movie...well, let's just say we won't even be graced with the presence of Sally Field.

And when THAT'S the measure of quality...uh oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment