Wednesday, November 24, 2004

On Theories

A good friend of mine recently reminded me of something she heard from a friend of hers, a quote to the effect that human beings "still have a hand in the tree," to which she added the corollary "and both feet on the trunk." I offered my own addition: That leaves one set of knuckles to drag the ground--or one hand free to throw rocks and sticks.

In light of this, I came across the following while checking Needlenose--it suggests that most Americans aren't quite ready to give up on the whole "made in God's image" thing. And they seem to be in a stick-throwing mood, if recent events offer any indication.

This page, which I also found thanks to Needlenose, has some nice responses, created in the spirit of good satire, as well as a set of links to pro and anti-evolution websites.

As for me--I can't believe we're actually discussing creationism, intelligent design, or any other such nonsense as an alternative to evolution as part of a science curriculum. Now, I'll grant that the anti-evolutionists have a startling tendency to look, well, unevolved. But I'm really sick of hearing them prattle on about how evolution is "just a theory."

Well, so is gravity, relativity, and even 1+1=2, but I don't see anybody questioning those.

No comments:

Post a Comment