Friday, November 19, 2004

They Shoot Cars, Don't They?

Timshel points to an Advocate article mentioning the possibility of light rail service, initially connecting Denham Springs and Baton Rouge. Mayor elect Holden will explore the possibility of using existing rail lines, which would significantly reduce costs--although that still means the price would be enormous, as opposed to beyond the realm of possibility.

Still, ANY discussion of public transportation, particularly discussion that moves beyond buses, is good news. Buses simply can't compete in a city the size of Baton Rouge, for a variety of reasons. Rail, on the other hand, has any number of benefits. But I won't get my hopes up too high--something tells me we won't be seeing anything accomplished by the end of a first Holden term.

Still, something needs to be done. The morning rush hour would drive me completely insane if I had to commute from Baker, Zachary, Denham Springs, Walker, or Ascension Parish. I've pretty much given up on entire sections of the city--unless I absolutely have to, I won't go NEAR Siegen Lane, Essen Lane, Burbank at Bluebonnet, Perkins at Bluebonnet (and both College Drive and south Highland Road are getting that way). Oh--and how could I forget Airline Highway and Florida Blvd? I'll tell you how--by NEVER driving them.

Even though I just bought a new fossil burner (for the record, a Corolla--I'd thought about buying a hybrid, but they're still a little out of my price range. Instead, I've got reliable transportation--and a car that gets between 30 and 35 mpg), I'd happily support any kind of taxes and/or bonds Holden might propose to pay for a commuter service. Because even if I'm not along the line, it benefits me and the rest of the city. I wish people addicted to driving would consider that--by REDUCING the volume of traffic, people who LIKE driving will gain a net benefit: fewer cars on the streets causing traffic jams.

And you know what? If/when such a service comes to Baton Rouge, I'd be tempted to hop aboard just to check it out--which means I'd at least take a look at some of the shops and restaurants out in the east burbs...not that one person can make or break a small business, but, hey, every little bit helps. Besides, it can be fun to just look out the windows, enjoy the ride, and not have to watch out for the morons who've learned how to drive by watching NASCAR races.

Now, if only they could also get to work on a passenger line connecting Baton Rouge to New Orleans...

No comments:

Post a Comment