Friday, September 23, 2005

Tarpons

I guess South Cameron High School's mascot is still the Tarpons (weird...years ago I remember a HS football game, of all things, between my own school in New (S)Iberia and South Cameron)...tarpons are big fish...there's one at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago that, when I last went there, had been in the main tank for some 60 years. Fish like water.

I bring this up because I just saw a local report saying that Cameron Parish, which is extreme Southwest Louisiana, is expected to be 100 PERCENT underwater before this is all over. 100 percent.

A colleague of mine over at the State Land's Office has shown me photos demonstrating how drastic coastal erosion has been over the last twenty years or so. Rita looks like it might accellerate the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment