Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Milestone

From Cursor, here's a link to a story about Wilbert Rideau, who was released from Angola one year ago. Datelined out of Baton Rouge, the story doesn't make clear whether or not Rideau is actually in Red Stick, but that could be the case...

Obviously, Mr. Rideau has had some ups and downs--for instance, he's been charged for trial expenses to the tune of $127,000 (including the judge's food bill), and, as he expected, promises of journalism jobs didn't pan out--as he puts it:

"I recognize that up there in prison, while I was editor, the thing I had going for me and the magazine is that we were a novelty," Rideau said. "I was a dog playing a piano. So you guys were always interested and everybody was interested and wanted to help. I'm no longer in that situation, but I learned a lot of skills up there that are transferable."

But he's got a positive attitude:

"I told him [a prison guard he ran into recently] I'm probably the only person in the world that you know that you don't have to ask how I'm doing," Rideau said. "I am the only guy you know who wakes up in heaven every morning."

He also continues to express remorse for his crime.

Best of luck, Mr. Rideau.

No comments:

Post a Comment