Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The End Game for Dummies

No, son. This isn't Stratego®

William Rivers Pitt has more on Shrubleroy's Iranian obsession:

I had a debate with my boss last night about Sy Hersh's terrifying New Yorker article describing Bush administration plans to attack Iran, potentially with nuclear weapons. After reading the Hersh piece, my boss was understandably worried, describing his reaction to the article in road-to-Damascus-revelation terms. They're going to do this, he said.

I told my boss that I couldn't believe it was possible the Bush administration would do this. I ran through all the reasons why an attack on Iran, especially with any kind of nuclear weaponry, would be the height of folly...

It was a cogent argument I made, filled with common sense. My boss seemed mollified, and we bid each other goodnight. Ten minutes later, I had an email from my boss in my Inbox. He'd sent me Paul Krugman's latest editorial from the New York Times, titled "Yes He Would." Krugman's piece opens this way:
"But he wouldn't do that." That sentiment is what made it possible for President Bush to stampede America into the Iraq war and to fend off hard questions about the reasons for that war until after the 2004 election. Many people just didn't want to believe that an American president would deliberately mislead the nation on matters of war and peace. "But he wouldn't do that," say people who think they're being sensible. Given what we now know about the origins of the Iraq war, however, discounting the possibility that Mr. Bush will start another ill-conceived and unnecessary war isn't sensible. It's wishful thinking.

Great.

Things have come to a pretty pass in the United States of America when the first question you have to ask yourself on matters of war and death is, "Just how crazy are these people?" Every cogent estimate sees Iran's nuclear capabilities not becoming any kind of reality for another ten years, leaving open a dozen diplomatic and economic options for dealing with the situation. There is no good reason for attacking that country, but there are a few bad reasons to be found.


Yes, I'm starting to sound a bit like a broken record, but a damn good reason to stop the saber rattling is because an ENTIRE REGION of this country desperately needs a massive commitment from the government to recover from a natural disaster AND act of criminal negligence. As things stand, Operation Doofus Invades the Desert is both a blunder of epic proportions and a needless diversion of resources. Going double or nothing in Persia isn't just a fool's mate: it's almost a Bobby Fischer-like foray into lunacy.

Minus the fact that Fischer at least knew how to play a mean game of chess.

No comments:

Post a Comment