Friday, July 07, 2006

Rising Tide: Blogger Conference, New Orleans

Why "Rising Tide?" Because I guess "Blogger Conference and MONSTER TRUCKS!" would be so...so Baton Rouge.

YRHT is proposing a gathering of bloggers in NOLA for late next month, to coincide with the one year anniversary of the flood:

I think Lisa and Shawn and everyone who expressed concerns about the short timetable are probably correct. A real conference with all the usual bells and whistles may not be possible to accomplish in such short order. So perhaps we should aim lower, and concentrate on making "Rising Tide" as creative and informative and productive as possible on a shoestring budget.

Who knows? This could be like a pilot conference that sets the stage for a bigger, better Rising Tide II. We can dare to dream.

Here's why I'd like to have the conference prior to the one year anniversary of Katrina.

1. Obviously, it capitalizes on the media and internet attention surrounding the one year mark.

2. I'm fond of this "work day" idea, and August 29th is the (supposed) deadline for people to gut their houses before the city starts getting involved. I'd love to be able to help an organization like Common Ground gut an extra house before that deadline occurs. And those who haven't yet gutted a flooded house would get their chance to "get dirty".

3. The hotel and restaurant prices are less expensive during the summer.


Scout-Prime said she's interested in going (Huzzah!)...and I hope all the fine writers from the Crescent City don't mind a hinterland Gret Stet denizen like myself stopping by, if I'm able to.

I've also got a feeling that all you high-quality blog readers out there who've come across sites chronicling the highs and lows of the Gret Stet, ante and post deluvian, would find yourselves welcome, too.

So, mark your calendar: August 25-27th (the last weekend of the month). As for me, I'm close enough to day-trip it, but wise enough to think about a hotel. After all, it's not easy--or smart--to enjoy the city...THEN hop into the car for an hour-long drive.

Damn, I wish I could just take a train...

No comments:

Post a Comment