Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Terrible Twos
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised--Team Bush shows a remarkable lack-of-capacity for maturity, and if the cost is more death and destruction--for other people, of course--then so be it, says the boy king.

As Team Bush winds down the clock--only two years left. For some, it'll be two LONG years, and they might be the lucky ones...for others, time will run out much more quickly.

Yesterday--and, sorry I forget where I saw this, and who said it--but yesterday I came across a quote from a journalist in Iraq: he asked his driver how long he'd make it in Baghdad without a helmet, flak jacket, security, and so on. The driver replied, "oh, about four or five seconds." I doubt that was meant as a joke.

In contrast, I came across this story a couple of weeks ago written by James Phillips. He offers an on-the-ground impression of Iraq following Gulf War I. It makes for an interesting, and tragic comparison--while not being unrestricted in his travels, Phillips has a degree of autonomy that today's journalists in Iraq couldn't dream of.

I suspect his descriptions of "ordinary" Iraqi life, constrained as it was then, are also beyond the dreams of the average Iraqi today...

No comments:

Post a Comment