Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mission Accomplished


Sorry for the off-day, but c'mon, it's Mardi Gras. I made it down to the city and caught a few Zulu medallions for myself, plus some to pass along to friends who, alas, could only be there in spirit. No coconuts this time, but I did catch one of the faux (plastic) ones last year, along with a small tambourine, both of which sit proudly on the mantle.

Then it was through the Quarter and over to the French Market for cheap sunglasses--also a tradition. I pick up a pair or two for $5 bux, and I'll usually break or lose them before my next visit, thus perpetuating the cycle. Beats losing or breaking an expensive pair.

All in all, a pleasant day, even with Fiorella's not quite getting my order right...but no biggie.

Special note: my first tobacco-free Fat Tuesday, but that's not quite the achievement I'd like it to be--I'm still smoking a few cancer sticks a day, but I'm trying like hell to limit it after a minor scare last November that, thankfully, turned out to be nothing...anyway, I'm trying to limit the cigs as much as possible.

It was also a virtually alcohol-free Tuesday, too, but that's only 'cause I had to do the driving myself. I did allow myself two Abita Turbo Dogs. Under the circumstances, that probably still made me the most sober driver on the road.

Lagniappe: snagged a few of these as well


To be honest, I was worried that this was an off-year, because I didn't see large crowds/throngs of people. It was almost TOO easy getting into and out of the city. But, at least according to NPR, this was a successful celebration, with high hotel occupancy. Well, good, if that's true. My own impression was that it was the equivalent of a normal, slightly busy weekend.

Now I'm stuck back in Red Stick...but the drinking can officially commence, being that I'm no longer on the road. Catch up with y'all tomorrow.

Oh, one more thing...what to sacrifice for Lent? How about...a horde of wingnuts, starting with John Derbyshire? Would lend a whole new meaning to "burnt offerings."

No comments:

Post a Comment