Monday, March 19, 2007

Success Story

In other news, Bush claims success in ridding this house of a particularly bothersome fly.

Here's Pravda's report on the 4th Anniversary of the onset of hostilities. If you're even more into the surreal, try the White House's web site, and go back to 2003.

Here's some information in graphic form.

Then there's Patrick Cockburn, if you prefer reality-based analysis:

Four years ago, in the middle of the US invasion, I drove safely from Arbil in northern Iraq to Baghdad. There were heaps of discarded weapons beside the road, and long lines of former Iraqi soldiers walking home. Signs of battle were few, aside from the hulks of burned-out tanks, but they all seemed to have been hit by US aircraft after their crews had fled.

If I tried to make the same journey today, I would be killed or kidnapped long before I reached Baghdad. Kurdish ministers in the Iraqi government dare not travel by road between the capital and their homeland. Three bodyguards of the Foreign Minister, Hoshyar Zebari, were ambushed and killed when they tried to do so a month ago.

Tony Blair and George Bush still occasionally imply that the picture of Iraq as a war-torn hell is an exaggeration by the media. They suggest, though not as forcibly as they did a couple of years ago, that parts of the country are relatively peaceful. Nothing could be more untrue...

People in Baghdad used to say that under Saddam Hussein, life was fairly safe if you kept out of politics. This was true of crime: during the war of 1991 I was once stranded in the semi-desert between Baghdad and Mosul when my car broke down, because the petrol in the tank had been watered down. I travelled on to Mosul, hitching lifts from farmers without any threat to my safety. If I did that today, I would be stopped and probably murdered at one of the official or unofficial checkpoints on the road.


You know, the traditional 4th anniversary gift is flowers, but I'm guessing that Iraqis are likely no more in the mood to offer some now then they were back in 2003, when we invaded, not for their sake, but for George W. Bush's.

No comments:

Post a Comment