Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Smear Ink


Oh, and in case anyone wonders, I'm actually not that big a fan of Al Gore...hell, I didn't even vote for him in 2000, although had the Gret Stet been in play, I would have (I dialed Nader's number back then--and, to be fair, I find myself more and more impressed by Gore, perhaps because he no longer seems to worry about tailoring his message, but seems to speak his mind).

That said, this Vanity Fair article (the Esquire masthead is only for historical accuracy) goes a long way in explaining the smug fucktardness of the elite press back then, and probably now as well. After all, the usual assclowns--Kit Seelye, Cici Connolly, Brian Williams, MoDo, the Broder curmudgeon himself--did their best to skewer candidate Gore, and therefore can take some credit for the last six years of public-policy-as-Bush-administration-psychopathy. In other words, the failure of Shrub is in no small part a measure of their failure as journalists.

As for myself, no, I don't think an Al Gore administration would be heaven-on-earth. Shoot, I'd probably criticize his DLC ways as much as I did during the two terms of the Clenis...but, in comparison, at least we'd have a government based on rational decision making, as opposed to lunacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment