Saturday, February 23, 2008

An Army of...Five to Fifteen, Depending on the Charges


I normally post a You Tube video on Saturday; I found one but it doesn't allow embedding, so I'll run the link a little later...anyway, last night I was dealing with stuff while half-watching standard Friday night MSNBC fare--a prison documentary about Pendleton Juvenile Facility in Indiana. Along with the usual prison documentary material, there was a short bit about something I'd never heard of--the "Future Soldier" program. Paraphrasing here, the guy in charge seemed particularly proud of the chance to move kids from Juvenile to the military with a minimum of interaction, if any, with the civilian world.

In other words, we're now using the youth prison system as a first-step in training the next generation of soldiers.

You know, I'm willing to give the proverbial second-chance to people, particularly juvenile offenders (within reason)...but I find the whole 'minimum interaction with the civilian world' element more than a little troubling. If their interaction here is 'minimal,' how do we expect them to represent US to the civilian world over there?

Or has this war truly instilled in our psyche a tolerance for savagery?

No comments:

Post a Comment