Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Forget It, Barack. It's Cheneytown *
From 2Millionth Web Log

Your father got five military deferments. So did your grandfather.

My personal reaction is skepticism regarding Obama's reaching out to wingnuttia. I told a friend by email the other day that it would not surprise me at all if an attempt from Obama to "reach across the aisle" would result in an attempt by the Rethugs to slice his hand off. After all, they've spent an entire generation engaged in the ugliest, most puerile form of political partisanship to the extent that the still routinely use "Jimmy Carter" as an expletive, not to mention "liberal."

Aside: and it still pisses me off to no end that Carter and the other neo-liberals let them get away with it. Nice work there. Selling out your principles in order to...ensure the defeat of your principles. No wonder Harry Reid's Majority Leader.

Anyway--that said, Obama got himself elected, and like Hullabaloo implies, maybe this is an example of his diplomacy...but if Obama honestly believes he can get the wingnuts to call off the dogs...then I think he's a LOT more naïve than I guessed.

And that worries me: the LAST thing we need is another "Jimmy Carter" for the Rethugs to sneer about.

No comments:

Post a Comment