Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Cat Blogging With Photoshop
From 2Millionth Web Log


Fallingwater edition.

But, changing the subject, and sadly, it's neither a joke nor something I feel at all comfortable with coming up with something...I've been reading the stories about Census employee Bill Sparkman with both revulsion and the shock of recognition: many years ago, when I was still young, one of my first ever paid vacations was...a camping trip to Daniel Boone National Forest near London, Kentucky. To tell the truth, it was a more or less random choice, but geez, I lucked out, arriving at the height of fall color season. Somewhere I've got a number of pictures, including one of a small cemetery out in the middle of nowhere. Ouch.

I suppose it doesn't matter much, but I sure as hell hope this was just an isolated case involving dumb-as-a-sack-of-hammer locals--it's not like they aren't everywhere--and not locals with just enough money to have satellite dishes tuned to Pox News.

By the way, in addition to spectacular fall colors, I remember several pleasant conversations with not-so-dumb local folks, as well as other travelers out enjoying autumn in Appalachia. Hmmm...come to think of it, it was almost exactly twenty years ago.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Sparkman.

No comments:

Post a Comment